Members of Odette and ECG have worked together over the past 12 months to agree on a standard set of core Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for FVL. All vehicle manufacturers (OEMs) use indicators to measure the performance of their Logistics Service Providers (LSPs) but even if there has often been some commonality of purpose, the methods of measurement have not always been the same.
It was agreed that standardisation of the main indicators would avoid the need for LSPs to manage a plethora of different indicators from different customers and allow them to more easily assess their performance across their whole customer base. A set of standard KPIs would also provide a basis against which all actors in Finished Vehicle Logistics (OEMs and LSPs) could work to improve their performance.
The project participants* finally agreed on 9 core KPIs covering various stages and aspects of the FVL process:
- Plant evacuation
- Time to port of exit/compound
- Lead time achievement ratio
- Dwell at port of exit
- Shipping lead time
- Dealer/market delivery time
- Damage ratio
- Event reporting – Completeness
- Event reporting – Timeliness
Not all of these indicators are currently used, or used in the same way, by the OEMs involved in the project but all agreed that the standard was something they should work towards.
* Project participants included: Assistor Uttera, Graglia, Grimaldi Group, Groupe CAT, ICO Terminals, Jaguar Land Rover, Lagermax, Mercedes Benz, Mosolf Group, Noatum Terminals, PTL, Renault, Stellantis, UECC, United Transline and Volvo Cars,